Main Phone Number
(773) 674-CCSO (2276)

Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Twitter Fan us on Facebook Fan us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Watch us on YouTube


Search for Inmate Information/Visitation Registration

Safe Disposal of
Prescription Drugs

Submit a Crime Tip

Freedom of Information
Act Request

Detainee Discharge

Animal Abuser Registry Look-up

The Opioid Crisis

Sheriff's Reentry
Assistance Network

Public Corruption
Complaint Forms

Merit Board Decisions
& Video

Civil Process Service

Evictions, Foreclosures
& Civil Process

Sheriff's Employment
Action Manual

Social Services

Internet Safety Tips


Firearm Information


Home > Press Page

Tusday, July 20, 2010— A man arrested by Cook County Sheriff’s police officers on routine patrol has been charged with first degree murder, Sheriff Tom Dart announced Tuesday.

Terry AndersonTerry Anderson, 27, of the 900 block of East 16th St. in Ford Heights will appear in Markham bond court today at 4 p.m. in connection with the shooting death of 25-year-old Maurice Lawton, of the 900 block of East 15th St. in Ford Heights.

Police officers were patrolling the 1300 block of S. Ellis Ave. in Ford Heights Friday night when they heard gunshots nearby.  As they canvassed the area, the two officers saw Anderson, dressed in black, frantically running from an alley a couple of blocks away, heading for a vacant building.  Anderson then  stopped running, crossed Ellis and began walking eastbound with another man, who is not charged in the case.

Acting quickly, the patrol officers approached the two men.   As the officers were completing a safety pat down, Cook County Communications alerted them of a “man down" call on 15th St. behind a convenience store – located in the same alley from which Anderson ran.  The officers immediately placed both men under arrest.  They were tested for gunshot residue then taken to the Markham Courthouse Lockup for processing.

Cook County K-9 officers and the Ford Heights Fire Department searched the scene and recovered the murder weapon, a silver revolver, from the roof of a nearby vacant building.  Three minor witnesses told investigators there was a verbal argument between Lawton and Anderson, who shot Lawton twice and fled.

Lawton sustained two gunshot wounds to the chest and was pronounced dead at 9:57 p.m. Friday at St. James Hospital.    

Home > Press Page     



Home / Site Map / Search Site / Legal Disclaimer / Login